Another Lockdown Cushion!

As well as finishing off a couple of half done cushions during lockdown… I also started a new crochet cushion to go with the paintings in our living room.

We have four Alan McPherson paintings in our home – two of which were wedding gifts from Alan and his family and we absolutely love them! One of the paintings we have in the living room is from the eighties and other is more recent – from the Positions series.

I love the echos of shape and colour between the two paintings – almost 40 years apart, and have decided to redecorate the living room around them.

We’ve chosen Mid Azure Green from The Little Green Paint Company for the main colour, but have come to a bit of a standstill on the decorating as I discovered some bigger (expensive) jobs that need doing by an expert before I can crack on. Oh… the joy of old houses!

So in the meantime I finished my Alan McPherson inspired scrappy crochet cushion!

I’ve never crocheted a garment and therefore never measured my crochet guage – but I’m pretty sure my stitches come out too short. Squares certainly never come out square for me… so it took a bit of blocking!

I’ve also made a new cover for my Ercol armchair cushion as the old one wasn’t removable/washable… and the cats love that chair so it was a bit furry. I opted for denim – partly because I think it will wear well, but mainly because I had enough in my stash!

It has a zip so it’s removable for washing and I also had enough fabric to use it for the back of the crochet cushion as well.

The cats are already giving it a lot of kneading… by the time I can redecorate everything will have been well loved!

Granny Square Cushion

cushioncurtainI had hoped that writing my blog about unfinished projects would spur me on to finish some. It worked!

One of the projects I found was a granny square which was originally going to be an arm cover for my sofa. One of my cats is pretty well behaved because I’ve had her since she was a kitten and managed to train her not to scratch the sofa or chase yarn. Noodle on the other hand – I adopted as a teenager and he has destroyed the arms of my sofa!

A granny square cover would’ve looked lovely, but I quite quickly came to my senses and scrapped the idea because Noodle would still have scratched – and it wouldn’t take long to destroy a granny square! So plan B was to buy some wool blankets to match my curtains, cut them up and sew them to shape as arm covers. They’re not perfect – but a lot better than the mess underneath them and easy to replace. Strangely enough – Noodle has left them alone so far!

I had enough fabric left from two blankets to make a cover for the cushion pad on my Ercol armchair and to cover one side of a cushion for the back of the armchair. This was obviously meant to be so my Ercol has now been swapped with Grandad’s old rocking chair, and relocated to the living room.

I’d completely forgotten about the granny square until I wrote my WIP’s blog! It’s perfect because I had planned the colours to work in the living room and it was almost the right size for the cushion pad (I took back a few rounds). It’s one of those projects that’s been going on for a while and suddenly everything came together and worked perfectly!

I really must dig out my unfinished projects more often!